Tuesday, January 13, 2015

CrockPot Posole Recipe

I bought a tin of Crockpot recipes from an online store. It was on clearance and I figured, why not?  Even though we are picky eaters and I know we aren't going to like a lot of what's in there, I expected I could get some good ideas just the same. (We're not big fans of cream of whatever soup).

Well, naturally, it's full of stuff my family won't eat. We don't do anything spicier than your basic spaghetti sauce. lol! But I figured I'd share some of the recipes with you even if I haven't tried them myself because they seem simple, and if you like that sort of thing, pretty good.

I'm going to start off with Posole.  Posole, or more accurately, Pozole, means "hominy".  It's a pre-Columbian stew/soup from Mexico.  Hominy is dried corn kernels (maize as opposed to the sweet corn we are used to eating as a side dish) that has been treated with lime or lye.  This process makes it shed its hull and swell up. When it's ground up, it's used to make hominy grits.  But we're not using that kind for this recipe. We want them whole.  Goya, a popular ethnic food brand, makes canned hominy, so if your local supermarket carries that brand of products, there is a good chance they will carry canned hominy.  If not, try Walmart.



This recipe could not be more simple.

Ingredients:

3 lbs boneless pork shoulder or loin, cubed
3 cans (14 oz ea) white hominy, drained
1 cup chili sauce

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in your crockpot. Cover. Cook on Low for 10 hours or High for 5 hours.

That's it. That's all there is.  Easy, huh?  Actually, if I could think of something to substitute for the chili sauce, I might try it.

Enjoy!

Recipe from Crock*Pot. The Original Slow Cooker Recipe Card Collection © 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment