Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Pizza Skins Appetizer

I haven't made this in years, but I'll have to make it soon now (so I can add a pic) and because it's so good.  It's a cross between pizza and potato skins.

Super easy, super yummy and once again, wide open to options.
This is a small one I made. It was actually pretty deep. I put left over baked ham in it and we had it for dinner. Why is that one part white?  I don't like cheese on my potatoes. *Gasp!* I know - scandalous - but true! My picky daughter went back for 2nds.



Ingredients:

1 can Pillsbury pizza crust
2 cups instant mashed potatoes (or left over potatoes)
1 bag shredded cheese of your choice (I usually use cheddar)
6 slices crumbled bacon (microwave bacon is good)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 500 (yes, 500)

Make instant potatoes according to package directions.

Cook bacon.

Spread out pizza crust into a pan with deep sides, with dough going up the sides a bit.  (any size or shape pan. Sometimes I use a cake pan. Just as long as the dough fits)

Bake the crust for 5 minutes at 500

Remove crust from oven.  Reduce heat to 450.

Fill pizza crust with mashed potatoes.  Cover with shredded cheese. Crumble bacon over the top.

Bake at 450 until cheese is bubbly and crust is cooked.

TIPS: You can do so many things with this. You can season/flavor the crust before the first bake.  You can use flavored mashed potatoes. Many brands sell garlic mashed or even loaded mashed flavors. Or you can flavor the potatoes yourself with any kind of seasoning/herbs/spices you want.  You can use any kind, or combination, of cheese that you like.  You can add lots of topping. Pepperoni, black olives, jalapeno slices, diced tomatoes, refried beans, salsa, ham and pineapple, sausage, ground beef, avocado, queso, shredded chicken or pork, the possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment